Friday, July 5, 2013

Streaming Videos on Amazon Prime

Disclaimer: I am an Amazon Associate and am compensated for sales through Amazon links. I appreciate your support of my blog by shopping through my links.

Are you an Amazon Prime Member yet? We have been for 18 months and we LOVE it!

Amazon Prime is $79/year, which works out to $6.58/month. You receive FREE 2 day Shipping on Amazon Prime items (which is most items sold by Amazon and some third party sellers). I have also upgraded to 1 day shipping for a nominal charge several times ($3-4/item). But, Amazon Prime is more than just free shipping, you also have instant video and the Kindle Owners' Lending Library.
Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies 



When I look at the video subscription services...Amazon InstantVideo, Netflix,  AppleTV, and Hulu Plus. Amazon Instant Video offers the most flexibility.

Amazon Prime Instant Video streams through our Sony, Samsung and Vizio TVs and BluRay players. It also works with Wii, WiiU, XBox 360, and PS3 game systems. I can stream to my iPhone or iPad while connected to a WiFi network. Streaming does not work over 3G service.

Amazon Instant Video offers two types of videos, Prime content which streams for FREE with your Prime Membership and content that you can rent or purchase. Netflix only offers content that is available through the subscription plan. AppleTV does not offer any free content via  a subscription plan. HuluPlus is focused on TV and lacks the movie content.

Amazon Prime Instant Video recently signed an exclusive deal with Viacom and is now the exclusive subscription-based home to shows like Dora the Explorer, SpongeBob, Bubble Guppies, Team UmiZoomi, Backyardigans, Blues Clues, and Victorious.

Other kids series that my daughter has enjoyed that are on prime include: Dinosaur Train, Thomas the Train, and Olivia. She also loves watching The American Girl Molly movie on Prime. We have it on DVD, but I find it easier to watch through Prime.

Amazon Prime Instant Video is also home to the recent Marvel movies such as The Avengers, Thor, and Captain America. We have also found it to be a great place to introduce our daughter to movies that we grew up. 1980/90s movies on Prime Instant Video including The Goonies and Hook.

While some content does periodically leave Prime, I feel that it has only expanded over the 18 months that we have been subscribing. Personally I have used Prime to watch older episodes of series that  I have recently discovered or even to rewatch favorite old series.

The Kindle Owners Lending Library is a benefit exclusively for Prime Members who are Kindle Owners. You may checkout one book for free each calendar month. I loved this method when I first purchased my Kindle and used it to read the Hunger Games trilogy. I wish they would spend more time on this feature. I find it difficult to find the books that are eligible since they need to be borrowed directly from the Kindle and I have a Kindle Touch and not a Kindle Fire that has a better browser.

Amazon offers a FREE 30-day trial of Amazon Prime. Summer is a great time to start a FREE trial, since the kids are home from school. Since my daughter can sleep later in the mornings than during the school year, we find it easier to have family movie night on a weekend.

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...