Monday, July 8, 2013

Simple Fireworks Craft

On Wednesday my daughter and I attended a Fourth of July craft event at our library. She initially picked up the supplies to make a paper plate wreath using cutout stars, toothpick flags, and cupcake liners.
Then she saw a craft with straws, tape, and pipe cleaners to make fireworks. Unfortunately by the time she finished her wreath all of the supplies for the fireworks were gone. Since we were headed to Meijer after the library to buy the remaining food we needed for our barbecue, I was able to pick up the supplies.




We only needed three components:

  • Plastic "Bendy" Straws

  • Pipe Cleaners - we used metallic one in red, blue, silver, gold, and purple

  • Tape - We used fireworks duck tape, but the library was using painters tape in blue and red


The craft was very easy for my 7 year old daughter and neighbor. They threaded the pipe cleaners into the straws and bent the edges in crazy directions. Then they taped the straws together. They did need a little help cutting the duck tape. They got creative by varying the number of straws they used to make bigger or smaller fireworks. They mostly left the bend at the top of the fireworks, to be able to give them more of a spread. But they made a few with the bends in the straw at the bottom. This was a great idea because the fireworks could then stand on a table as a centerpiece - especially when made with 10 straws.


We then used some of them to decorate my daughter's scooter for the neighborhood parade on Saturday.




Disclaimer: I am an Amazon Associate and am compensated for sales through Amazon links. I appreciate your support of my blog by shopping through my links.

Some sample materials that you could use:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...