Monday, October 8, 2012

Eggo Mini Pancake Review

An empty package
I am a cereal for breakfast person...typically Special K Red Berries with a banana. My daughter, on the other hand, is very much a "traditional carb breakfast" person - waffle, french toast, pancakes, etc. Mostly of the Eggo variety.

For a long time her favorite was Eggo Cinnamon French Toast sticks, but at one point they were recalled and were off store shelves for many months. She also enjoys Eggo's French Toast Waffles, Cinnamon Roll wafflers, and chocolate chip waffles. Since I am always going through a standard size box of these, I looked at Costco to see what they had.

The only large box of Eggos they had was Eggo Mini Pancakes - Maple Flavor. I wanted to wait and try a small box at the store, but my daughter convinced me to buy the big box. Fortunately, she likes them so they won't be going to waste.

The Eggo Mini Pancakes are packed in individual servings of 8 pancakes and are microwaved right in their package. I read 8 pancakes per package and was worried that the serving size would be too large, but they are definitely mini. My daughter easily finished off 7 of the pancakes (I tried one of them before giving them to her) the first time and has eaten all 8 the other times. Eggo Minis are made with whole grains and contain no trans fats.

Her breakfast
The pancakes microwaved in their package in 45 seconds. There are also options to heat them in the package in a convection or a conventional oven. The pancakes had a mild maple flavor. My daughter asked to eat them cut up with syrup the first day. While they cannot compare to fresh made pancakes, they were among the better microwave pancakes that I have had. The pancakes stayed soft and moist. Some microwave pancakes can be come cardboard like and dry. We had no such concerns with these. Since they are individually packaged we don't have to worry about them staying fresh as we work our way through the box.

The Eggo Mini Pancakes also work well as a clean on the go breakfast. Since the first day, she has been eating them straight out of the package without syrup including once in the car. They are great on the go, since they can be taken in their package which can then be thrown away without needing to keep track of a container.

The Eggo Mini Pancakes are packaged in a serving of 8 pancakes. The box I bought at Costco has 15 servings (120 pancakes). The box was quite large, but I can fit it in the freezer of my basement refrigerator and bring a few servings into my main freezer as needed.

I would definitely recommend these as an option for a quick breakfast.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...