Sunday, September 15, 2013

Power Out Smashed Potatoes

Yesterday evening we had a power outage right before dinner. Normally, that would result in us eating out. However, last night we were cooking cedar plank chicken on the grill with smashed potatoes and green beans. The chicken was already on they grill and the potatoes were cut when we lost power.

My husband asked what we were going to do about dinner, and I said no problem. The chicken's on the grill and I can manually light the stove for the potatoes and the green beans. Of course, I forgot about mixing the potatoes. I usually use my Kitchen-Aid mixer and don't have a potato masher, so I had to improvise.

I don't have a potato masher I rummaged through my kitchen tools and found a few things to experiment with. I found a dough blender which I also use to break up fruit for jelly. I vetoed my wire whisk since it would not be sturdy enough to whisk the potatoes. However, my Calphalon Teflon whisk was stronger. I used a dough blender to mash the potatoes and a Calphalon Teflon whip to fluff them up. 


To make my smashed potatoes, I used Klondike Rose potatoes and left the skin on, but cut them into 1/2" pieces to boil in salted water. I cooked the potatoes a little more than I usually do so that they would mash easily. I added butter, low-fat ranch dressing, and milk as I mashed them. By using the ranch dressing, I am able to use less butter.  We typically add garlic and rosemary, but since we were working in the dark/no power we took a few shortcuts. First I used the dough blender to mash the potatoes and start incorporating the liquids. Then I used the whisk to fluff and fully incorporate all of the liquids. Fortunately, I was making smashed potatoes so I wasn't aiming for a whipped consistency.

I had resigned myself to an inconsistent texture, but was really happy with how they came out.

Disclaimer: I am an Amazon Associate and am compensated for sales through Amazon links. I appreciate your support of my blog by shopping through my links.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...