Monday, May 9, 2011

Game Review: Disney Apples to Apples

My daughter loves games. However we are finding that we are at a cross-roads where games are concerned. She has a lot of games and the preschool games are getting too easy for her. However, she is not ready for the more strategic games. She is able to read, so that opens a few more options too.

Disney Apples To Apples - The Game Of Goofy ComparisonsFor Mother's Day, she really wanted to give me a game we could play together. We had all gone to Target and she was shopping with Daddy when I walked by. He suggested Disney Apples to Apples, but wanted my input since the age says 7+. I looked at the box and thought she would be able to play with help.

I was not familiar with Apples to Apples prior to this, so I had no idea what to expect. There are green cards with a descriptive word on them and red cards with things on them. The goal is to pick the best match for the descriptive word. For example, if the descriptive word was Fast you might select "Race" or "Wolves". In each round, one player is the judge and picks which card was the best match. The goal is to win 4 rounds first. I was a little worried about the judging of who had the best card, but you mix the cards up so the judge does not know who played which card. The game recommends 4-8 players, however we played with 3 and it was fine.

I was surprised at how well my daughter was able to play this game on her own. As we were setting it up, she went through the green apple cards and was able to read most of them. The game was great for her to practice her matching of characteristics. The Disney version also has Green Poison Apple cards which turns the tables so you have to pick the opposite of the descriptive word. She did have trouble when none of her cards matched the descriptor very well. However, she loved being the judge.

When we started we were helping her read the green apple cards when she was the judge. In the second game, we were only helping her if she asked. She picked the card and told us "Smiley" so we all picked something Smiley - a parade, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom. Then, I looked down and noticed the green apple card actually said "Smelly". We continued playing the round as Smiley. After that we checked the cards my daughter was reading.

I recommend the Disney Apples to Apples game for children who are readers through adults. It will help to have some knowledge of Disney - movies, TV, and parks. My daughter can't wait to play again. This is a game that the adults can also have fun playing as opposed to some kids games which are monotonous for adults. Unfortunately, my husband is not a game person, so it will probably wait until we go to Grandma and Grandpa's again. There is also Apples to Apples Junior which the manufacturer recommends as 9 & Up.

Disclaimer: We purchased this game ourselves at full price. All opinions are my own. I am an Amazon Associate and receive compensation for sales through amazon links. I appreciate your support of my blog by shopping through my links.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...