Friday, May 20, 2011

EReaders Have Taken Over!

I just heard that Amazon is currently selling more eBooks than print books (105 eBooks to 100 print editions). As someone who uses eReaders, I am not surprised at the market penetration. I was surprised that the eBooks number does not include Free eBooks, so with that inclusion they are "selling" even more eBooks. With Father's Day and Graduations around the corner, an eReader would make a great gift. But which one to choose. (The information below is based on my own experiences and the thought process that I went through prior to asking for a Nook Color.)

Why Do I love eBooks?
I love eBooks for the convenience. No heavy books to tote around especially while traveling. Plus, I don't have to find storage for all of these books. An eBook reader also saves my place so no need to use a bookmark. I can change the type size or background color allowing me to read while doing other tasks - folding laundry, washing dishes, since I can make the font larger. I began using my iPod Touch as an eReader over a year ago. I started with the Kindle App and added the Nook app when it was released. When I upgraded from a regular cell phone to an Android phone, I also used the apps on my phone. For Christmas I received a Nook Color. We have also recently purchased an iPad which can be used as an eReader. So I have some familiarity with different eReaders.

Which eReader is Best?
This decision will be highly personal. It will depend on what features are important to you. The features I considered were: free reading resources, device flexibility, screen type, and size.

Reading Material Sources
I want flexibility is where I obtain my reading material. Amazon Kindle only supports a proprietary book format which needs to be obtained from them. The Nook, Sony eReader, and some others will read ePubs including those with Adobe Digital Editions DRM. My local library lends eBooks for free as part of my library card. The eBooks are lent through Overdrive Media. In the fall, these books were only available for Sony Reader and Barnes and Noble Nook/Nook Color. They have since launched apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android smart phones. Overdrive and Amazon are implementing a system to be launched later this year.

Device Flexibility
Some eReaders are just that, eReaders and nothing else. Others, like the iPad are full feature tablet devices. The Nook Color is in between an iPad and an eReader. The iPad has a full range of applications available to it including a web browser, email, calendar, contacts, games, social networking, office systems, and more. The Nook and Nook Color both have a web browser. The Nook Color is built on the Android operating system and has started rolling out applications.

Screen Type
One of the important choices for an eReader is the screen type. Traditional eReaders all sport an eInk screen which is supposed to be the easiest on the eyes. It is much like a book in that you can read it in bright sunlight, but will need a light at night. eInk screens use little power so the devices tend to have a long battery life. eInk screens are monochrome black and white and cannot support color books or magazines. The Nook Color and iPad have a full color backlit LCD screen. The color screen allows for full color web browsing, children's picture books, and magazines. Some people have reported eye strain or headaches with these screens. They have also been linked to difficulty falling asleep after reading on one at night. I do not get eye strain with the backlit LCD. I frequently read at night after my husband is asleep and have not experienced trouble sleeping, often falling asleep while reading. For me, the backlit was an advantage.

Another consideration is a touchscreen or a key pad. I am used to touch screens since I have had an iPod Touch for 3 years and use an Android phone. The keypad also adds non reading size to the device. One disadvantage to the touchscreen is when I am reading with my daughter. I have to be very careful when pointing to words to not turn the page.

Device Size
The dimensions and weight of the device are also factors in the selection of an eReader. The iPad is the largest and heaviest device. It is not as portable as an eReader and I find it a bit heavy for laying in bed. The Nook Color is about the same size as other dedicated eReaders, but is heavier. An Android phone or iPhone is the lightest option, but it is also the smallest.

My Thoughts:
iPad: This is a great device and I love our iPad (we have a first generation bought at a discount after the release of iPad2). It has great flexibility in that it has apps for the most major book sources available (iBooks, Kindle, Nook, Overdrive). There are also many children's picture books available in iBooks, the NookKids app, and as standalone apps.  However, I find it to large to carry with me everywhere and too heavy to read on in bed. The iPad 2 starts at $499 for a 16 GB WiFi only version.

Nook Color: This is my favorite of the eReaders. It has a large variety of children's books available including some Read to Me books that will narrate the book for your child. Nook also has a large assortment of children's chapter books available as the child grows. I am currently reading Magic Treehouse Books with my daughter on the Nook Color. The apps are not as sophisticated as an iPad, but it does have a decent mail program now. It is a reasonable size to carry in my purse (after I upgraded from barely a clutch). When we were in DC, I would bring it on the Metro and read to my daughter while on the trains or waiting for them. I found that a book jacket made the device a little easier to hold because of adding a bit of thickness. I do wish there were a few more apps - Facebook, a Calendar that syncs to Google (that does not require an additional $39.99 application). The Nook Color sells for $249.99.

Nook: My sister has a Nook. She preferred the eInk screen, longer battery life, and lighter weight to the Nook Color. It will not support the Children's Picture Books but does support children's chapter books. If I wanted eInk, I probably would have selected the Nook. The Nook sells for $149.

Kindle: The Kindle was not an option for me because it did not support the library books. However, with that feature coming, I would again consider it as an option. There are a number of free eBooks available on Amazon, but they tend to be the classics, Christian fiction, and erotica. Kindle is available in a WiFi version for $139 ($114 for an ad-supported version). Kindle 3G which supports 3G+WiFi for obtaining books is available for $189. The Kindle DX is also available for $379. It features a 9.7" display and 3G+WiFi.

Sony Reader: I did not seriously consider the Sony Reader since I really liked the backlit LCD screen. However, there are several downsides to the Sony Reader. From what I can see only the Daily Edition includes WiFi connectivity. Otherwise you have to download books on your computer and transfer to the reader. There are not Sony Reader apps for the iPhone or Android Market, so you can only read your books on the Sony Reader. I prefer the flexibility to use my phone if my eReader is not available. Another complaint I have about the Sony Reader is the availability of gift cards. I had to install the Sony Reader app on my laptop in order to purchase my aunt a gift card for her Sony Reader. This is a major inconvenience for friends and family to buy you a gift card. The Sony Reader is available in a Pocket version for $179.99 (5" screen), a Touch Edition for $229.99 (6" screen), and a Daily Edition for $299.99 (7" screen + WiFi+3G).

Smart Phone: As I mentioned, I was reading on my Smart Phone. I always said it was sufficient and I did not want another device. Fast forward 6 months, and I have not only a Nook Color but also an iPad. With my daughter, it is great for us to have multiple devices to share as a family. I do not regret either my Nook Color or my iPad. A Smart Phone is just too small for easy reading. Plus I was using my battery life by reading on the go. However, I like having an eReader app for my phone to use as a backup if I don't have my Nook Color with me.

Disclaimer: I am an Amazon Associate and an affiliate of both Barnes and Noble and Apple iTunes. I receive compensation for sales through links to these sites. I appreciate your support of my blog by shopping through my links.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...